Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sooooo close!

We ALMOST won today. We played the very best team in our division. The first inning they scored NOTHING and we scored 6.
We lost by one, but we gained SO much more than that from this game. My girls are confident and proud of themselves. Every one of them (except one) had a HUGE smile on her face. The one that wasn't smiling is mad at me. Its okay, I am irritated with her. I need advice on how to handle this, but I won't post this on such a public place. Let's just say that I have never met a player who didn't like me ( i accept they don't all LOVE me) and she is trying to push my buttons. I'm, trying hard to be an adult, but there's that immature part that wants to sit her butt down and name every one of her faults so that her ego deflates. Dare I say we could have won if she had paid attention? No, I don't - there were a lot of what-ifs that I could go over and over for hours about.

I recieved a wonderful comment from the umpire - she said we were one of the NICEST teams she had ever umpired for, and that she hoped we won the rest of our games. That feels SO good- I always try to remember that if I am nice to people, then good things will come of it. I strive for excellence, but not at the expense of courtesy and kindsness.
Which leads me to the flip side. The umpire was NOT happy with the other manager. She bullied the unpire the whole game. In the second inning when my girls were up, I had to go near the plate for clarification on a call, and the other manager had just screamed at the umpire. I patted the umpire on the back and said "Okay, you are correct on this call, but don't let her bully you like that"
As I was leaving, another manager from a different league was there and she asked if we won. I told her that we lost by one. She was impressed! We lost to her team last Tuesday, lol. She asked if the other manager was a b*tch to me too. I sighed, because that puts me in a bad place. I was diplomatic. I told her that she wasn't one of those, but I coached against her last year, and I realize that she and I have very different coaching styles. I am familiar with how she is with her girls, and I simply cannot be that way with mine. That woman makes her players cry. With as much trouble as I have with that one girl on my team - I would rather hold my tongue, bite it till it bleeds, than to send her home crying.
This isn't the first time someone has expressed to me that type of opinion regarding that manager, and I have the feeling it won't be the last. Yikes.
She made my manager cringe last year - he hated dealing with her.

1 comment:

Sancy said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations!!! Just the boost that they needed!!