Saturday, March 24, 2007

Eating a Chipwich...

You remember those ice cream sandwiches that were the giant chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream squished between them, and then choclate chips rolled on the edges? Yum! I used to get one after school with my lunch money.
I was craving one today, and since we don't have any kids, Hongo drove me around to 3 stores to find one. I finally got my hands on one - it set me back 2.39. Yikes! Not only that, I read the back of the wrapper only to discover that one sandwich has a whopping 470 calories in it! No wonder I was so chunky when I was little. Too many Chipwiches and not enough school lunches!
So like I said - we don't have any kids tonight. They actually won't be gone a full 24 hours, but I'll take what I can get. Like dinner at Chili's, where I can blabber on and on about my friends and my knitting project. Hongo tries not to yawn, but I see his eyes glaze over occasionally. Thats my cue to shut it and ask him something so he can talk. I see NO problem when we get old and the kids leave the nest. I'll have plenty of conversation material that has nothing to do with kids. Like my friends at the rest home....and my latest knitting project. See? And the best part is that I won't have to bring it out on kid-less dates. Everyday will be a kid-less date! I bet Hongo can't wait for that day....

The best part of being kid-less (besides the ice cream) is the opportunity to take a quiet bath. No NASCAR bathing for me, where I have 3 pairs of hands in the tub trying to wash me and talk me into giving them a piece of candy for all their hard work. Ah, just me, washing me, with MY own hands.

Oh and while i am on the subject of being kid-less, I will also say that I will enjoy sleeping in tomorrow. WITHOUT hearing my door shut at 6 am and then giggles and laughter being heard. Every single weekday, I have to drag SOMEONE out of bed. Its usually not the boy, because he comes in during my workout and waits in my bed for me to finish so he can have breakfast. No, its usually one of the girls, and I have to threaten to actually DRAG them out of bed before they get up. But on Saturday morning, they all get up when I want to sleep and they laugh and giggle and watch cartoons. SO then I can't sleep, and I have to grumble and want to kick my Hongo, who is sound asleep and blissfully unaware that Tom and Jerry are performing IN STEREO for our children.

Yes, I will enjoy my 22 hours without children. But in the end, I'll miss them and they will miss their grandparents, want to stay there forever and I'll force them to come home. No worries - they'll be back to the grandparents' house on April 9th.

1 comment:

laurie said...

Enjoy your child-free night! I hope that isn't the only ice cream you are having tonight :)