Saturday, July 21, 2007

The good news....and the bad news....

Can I first just say - WHAT A WEEK!

There - I said it, lol!

Okay - We got the results back from the dr office.....

Hongo does NOT have Hepatitis A, B, or C (thank goodness, and I'd have to kill him if it were B or C!)

BUT.....(there's always a but *sigh*)
He had to go back in right away for something else. So we went in on Friday and got the bad news.
Dr B wants to do a bone scan. There is a reading in the bloodwork that indicates there may be a problem. Apparently this enzyme either comes from the liver (which is why they were checking for hep) or the bones. Since the liver has been ruled out - the dr is focusing on Hongo's bones.
Hongo asked for specifics, but the dr gave him two scenarios that worry him. Bone cancer and some kind of rare bone disease.
The odds are in Hongo's favor. He is young and very healthy. WBC comes back perfectly fine. But the dr does not want to take any chances. He submitted the claim to the insurance company and said they would call Monday to let Hongo know where he was going to have the test done.

When we left the dr office, I called my mother in law. I started to break down and so she said she would go and call my FIL to let him know.

It sucks, because I am usually the optimistic one in this family. There is a bright side to everything and I can always find the positive. There is nothing positive about cancer.

We took the kids to dinner and talked. MIL called again. Hongo and I talked about possibilities of why this was happening. We started looking at different angles, and decided to do some research when we got home. Sadly, that would not be for another 3 hours, because we had to kill some time because of traffic.

We took the kids to the mall, and I swear my girls are not of my blood. they are such shoppers! They LOVE shopping! It was such a bright spot to look at when our moods were so gloomy.

We finally got home, and after some research, we were feeling a little better. It turns out aspirin can alter these results if the kidneys are not fuctioning efficiently. Hongo is a heavy aspirin/acetemetophen/caffeine user. We would like for the dr to investigate his kidneys, since there is family history there.

Its hope.

Its funny how something so uncertain can make this family drop everything and come together. Today is my MIL's 51st birthday, and she was bummed that we weren't able to spend it together because she was going to go to work with FIL. They dropped that and came to get the kids and took them to the movie theater to give Hongo and I some time alone. Then we had lunch together, and they left. My brother in law (who despises me, but has softened a bit since his pending divorce and the fact that after 15 years, it doesn't appear I'm leaving his brother) was ready to leave work so that he could come up and be with Hongo. That is major. The last time BIL was at our house was when we moved in 5 years ago. The last time we saw him was Thanksgiving!

This is huge.

Not in a million years would my side of the family do that. Not even the loss of the most important, most well liked brother could bring that family back together and closer. Instead it unraveled faster than anyone ever thought possible.

I checked our insurance online, and it appears that they have approved the claim for the bone scan. I have told Hongo that even though the kidney thing looks promising, he must still do the scan to rule out those possibilities. We need that to give us piece of mind.
And if it is the kidneys, well.....we'll deal with that as it comes.

4 comments:

bmarin said...

At least your Hongo is willing to take care of himself. I can't get Big E to make appts or even keep them. I have decided from now on I am going to make the appts and drag him to each one and sit there with him like he was another child. He does not like it. I need my kids to have a father for a long time and I would like a husband with me too! So, I told him he has no other choice! We are thinking of you guys! You are right your Hongo is young and healthy.

Sancy said...

{{HUGS}} and prayers to you both. I'll be thinking of you.

Shannon said...

hugs to you both. please keep us updated. you are in my thoughts.

Kim said...

Do what you have to, B. That is what I do with Hongo. I even sit in the room with him because he has a habit of "omitting" information that the dr usually finds useful.


Thank you ladies for all your thoughts. I will for sure update as often as possible!