Sunday, July 8, 2007

Do cheaters ever prosper?

I would like to say no, but that would be highly naive of me. But maybe, just maybe...I hold out a hope that cheaters will not get anywhere in this situation.

Since the girls' loss, I've been checking the brackets, seeing how the rest of the tournament was going. The championship game was Friday night, and that night I could hear cheering from the park as I sat in my neighbor's garage.
At the team party on Saturday, I learned that there would be a playoff game that night, and all the parents were really somber - knowing full well that the girls could have been there.
I checked the tournament site last night and one score was posted and the other one (the one I really wanted to see) was not.

I thought it was odd.

LQ spent the night at one of her ex-teammates house, and we arranged for me to pick her up at a game that was at the park.
Today I went and sat in the stands, and i saw her manager. SO I asked him -hey, how did the game end last night?
He explained that the game was under dual protest - one team (team H) had an ineligible player, and the other team (team AV) did not give proper playing time to all of its players for the SECOND game in the tournament. The manager was babbling on until I caught the end of what he was saying...." We are the third place team, and we are patiently awaiting the outcome."

I told him to back up and repeat that, and tell me what that means. He did, and I was left with a tiny bit of hope in my heart, but not much.
About a half hour later, I saw him on the phone. He leaned down and said something to his wife, and her face broke out in a smile and they hugged tightly. He came over and sat down and told me the latest news....

Team H was completely eliminated from the tournament for cheating. Team AV had their entire coaching staff removed for misconduct. It was decided that the lack of adequate playing time was deliberate, and planned. They refused to play the lesser players in fear of losing the game.

LQ's manager was instructed to gather his team back up, and prepare them for the next tournament, which begins Tuesday. A final decision on whether the AV team will be permitted to continue will be handed down tomorrow, and we'll be notified by 9:30am.
He was also told "If I were you, I'd do a practice tonight."

Well, there is no practice tonight. But I am going to take LQ to the park and toss her some pitches to work on her hitting. Tomorrow we'll work on her pitching and fielding, and get her ready for stiff tournament play.

And we'll hope for good news tomorrow. I hope that my child gets to witness the consequences of cheating, and that she reaps the rewards of playing clean and fair. She's already asked me about why people cheat and what makes them think they could get away with it. Its wrong, don't they know that?

No comments: