Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Don't ask, don't ask, don't sk.....

She asked.

It was one of those times where a child drops in on adult conversation and you hope that she won't ask questions, but then she does....

One of my players has an older sister that is a pitcher. She is one of my coaches, but doesn't really do a whole lot of it due to her schedule.
On Saturday, she invited my main pitcher "A" to come to the park today for private pitching lessons with her and her sister. "A" asked me if I thought she should go, and i told her she really should - she would benefit from one on one. I know - because LQ does when I have time to work with her.

Anyhow, LQ had that GREAT outing on Monday, and one of the parents asked me if I had bought her lessons, and who were they from. I told them no, that I had actually taken the time to work with her in-depth and she finally understands what kind of commitment she will have to make her into the player she wants to be.
Yesterday, "A" and her family were here, and we were discussing it. Hongo offered to have "A" come over during the summer for lessons in case the ones with the other girls didn't work out. He offered this to the DAD, not to A. Dad was happy and then whent he girls came up to get more pizza, he asked A if that was something she wanted. She said yes- but did that mean she wasnt' going tomorrow?

I cringed. I waited for LQ to say "Where are you going tomorrow?" And she did. And A answered her. Apparently there is a private coach going there to give lessons to the older girl - the two younger ones are tagging along.
I waited for the next question "how come I wasn't invited?" But LQ didn't say it. As the night passed, and today we got through our day without her asking...I thought she had forgotten. Or not cared.

BUt sure enough, as she was prepping her uniform for the game, out it came.

"Mommy, why wasn't i invited to the pitching clinic? Am I not good enough to go?"

Think quick, Mama!
I told her no, that she already had a personal pitching coach. One that had spent many years refining her style and practicing the basics till they were perfect. She looked at me and said "I think I'm luckier than those girls."

No LQ, *I* am the lucky one. Lucky to be patient enough to teach you, lucky to have the time and energy to do so.

**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Something funny -
Monday night LQ was up to bat. She was hit in the back by a pitch. There was a collective "OH!" that came from the stands. I could hear the "thud" sound it made. LQ turned, looked at her dad (who was coaching 3rd base) and trotted off to 1st. She let out a huge "THAT HURT SO BAD!" when she reached first. I had to laugh - I have told her "if you can get up and go to first, you'll be fine"
When she came in, she told me "I made it all the way around - and it still hurts."

As if making it around was supposed to cure her!

No comments: