Monday, January 22, 2007

Going downhill....

You know, I am thinking about having a strike on Monday's. Yup, that 's it - I am striking. Because honestly, laying in bed with the covers pulled over my head sounds a whole lot better than what happened today.

First, we went to take Drama Queen to the dentist. I was given the new car to drive today because I was supposed to get the windows tinted.
I learned, first of all, that I am extremely spoiled. I have a remote keyless entry on my car and pretty much every car that I have owned for the past 10 years. DO you know how stupid I looked running back to my parked car and opening the door, feeling around for the button to lock the doors? I bet the people shopping at Albertson's were laughing.
We got to the office and I think satan had moved in to the building, because it was hot like he!! I figured we wouldn't be there too long. Plus I forgot my cell phone in the car, and it was parked too far away for me to run and get it real quick.
An hour later, we were still waiting. They FINALLY took us in, saw her for 10 minutes and then made us leave. She does have a cavity like I thought, but it is deep, so they have to numb her. They would prefer she go to a pedidontist (sp?) Fine, but now this opens up a whole avenue of paranoia for me. Who is going to touch my precious daughter? Are they gentle? Are they kind? Have children died in their chair? Ugh, so many questions.

Then it was off to the car tint place. He stepped away for an emergency, so we talked and I agreed to come back at 3. I took the kids home, and I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with my friend, talking about her kids' first day of homeschool. We agreed to get together at the park on Thursday and talk about some questions she has.
Called my mother in law, told her that Drama queen had an appt and told her about the new car. I asked about granny, and Granny is not doing well. She has good days and bad days. If I wasn't so worried about the kids germs affecting her I would make my Hongo take us for a visit.

Back to the tint place. I get there and some guy (not the guy I talked to earlier) starts to give me crap about tinting the windows all the way around. First of all, its not my car. I am simply the servant who is meekly bringing it in to have its windows tinted. Second, the person the car belongs to has a badge and for the past 7 years he's never gotten a ticket for illegally tinted windows. and trust me, even before he got a badge the windows have always been done. Third, you get paid more to put the tint on, so be quiet and do what I am paying you to do.
He got snappy with me, and i made a mental note to talk to his boss when I picked up my car.


We started walking to Target, and my cell phone rings. Its my insurance company. The VIN I gave them is going in the computer, so she was calling to verify. Great. I'm in a fricking dirt lot, my children think they are wild animals, my car is being worked on, and the paperwork is at home. I asked if I could call her back. Yes? Great. And BTW, could she get me a quote for homeowner's insurance?

Shopping at Target......went okay. I knew we had a lot of time, so I let the girls look at everything and anything they wanted. Yay. We ate at the food court (gross? yes I know.) and the lady was sooooooooo slooooooooow. If I had been in a hurry I would have left. But nowadays I make it a point to never be in a hurry - stop and smell the roses. Or, in this case, the lukewarm hotdogs spinning under a heat lamp.

My insurance guy called with my house ins quote. Choke, choke, who knew that owning a dog that is the size of a large cat would cause insurance to skyrocket so much!

It was getting dark, so I pushed the kids out the door. The last thing I needed was to try to manuever 3 yahoos through rush hour traffic. We went back out into the dirt lot and pretended we were explorers. Got back to the tint place, the car isn't done. So the kids start jumping around and fighting and being pains. I sent the Legoqueen to the corner, threatened to staple Drama Queen to the couch and leaver her there, and by this time Hairy boy was flipping through a magazine and figured it was the safest thing to do.


Got my car, said my piece, and got out of there. Got home, called the lady about my VIN, and realized that my husband would be home in 10 minutes and hadn't called. I didn't have dinnner ready. Not good.
But he was late too. I gave the kids lunch meat, crackers and cheese for dinner and we had oriental chicken and rice. We swapped stories about the day and snuggled on the couch. Even when my day is bad, I still have him with me to make it all right.

He's still looking at DisneyWorld vacations, and I'm still not biting.

No comments: