Monday, August 27, 2007

An inspiring woman,,,,

Yesterday we had our softball scrimmage (it was really fun, BTW)

One of the ladies that came to play on our side is the best friend of the manager's wife. Still following me?
ANyway, she has breast cancer. Or HAD, should I say. She found a lump in her breast and it was cancer. So she had the mastectomy, and is currently doing Chemotherapy.

We were sitting on the bench talking, and she was telling me about her ordeal. While she was speaking, my thoughts would drift to Tim and the reason that he is having his bone scan tomorrow. They are looking for cancer. They are actively seeking it out so that they can get rid of it. We don't want it to be there in the first place, but if it is, we will deal with it as best as we can.

Anyhow - back to this woman. She is sitting on the bench next to me, with a white cap that covers her bald head, a tank top that shows the port into her chest, and the most unbelievably upbeat attitude.

She told me "When the oncologist told me I had cancer again" (she's already dealt with melanoma) " I said to them 'I'll be fine'. They asked me if I needed a phone to call for a ride home and I just kept telling them 'I'll be fine'.

"I plan to be back in October" she told me. "I won't have a full time team, but I'll be subbing for you guys and the team I play on normally."

To her, cancer is not a death sentence. It simply sidetracked her for a few months. She's excited about getting breast implants, getting back to softball, and enjoying life with her family.

No one wanted to touch her yesterday. No one wanted to be the one to knock her down, possibly injuring her. She was bald. They all knew what that meant. But she did her best to reassure everyone that she was fine, perfectly capable of getting up in case she bumped into you.

Now me, on the other hand - I was in danger of having my butt kicked. I trash talked so much yesterday that at the end of the game, my friend told me that we were welcome to come to her house for a BBQ, but she wasn't going to feed us, lol. We hugged and made up over the sizzling carne asada that her husband was cooking. He wasn't even angry that I came out of nowhere and caught his fly ball when he was trying to fake everyone out. LOL!

1 comment:

LaMamaPanchita said...

Yes,It is nice to meet a positive woman who can show her strength during her own storm.But you and Hongo are strong also,I do believe this and you have freinds who care about you and your family.