Saturday, September 29, 2007

Its not supposed to be like this...

I really love playing softball. I do. But lately I have been dreading it this season. There are three new girls on the team. Three sisters. Two of them glare at me every chance they get. One is really nice to everyone. One of the sisters that glares at me plays my usual position. So for the past two games we have had to switch off, and neither of us has been very happy about it. Especially me, since I have been getting the raw end of the deal.
During practices I would bring my friend Christina and she also plays first base. We would switch off every inning and it was fine. And that is the way it was last season. All us girls would switch positions and give fair playing time to each other. I usually played first base, but I would switch with the manager's wife and play outfield too.
So I guess what I am saying is that it really isn't all about sharing...its about having people on your team that you can't seem to get along with.
I coach girls softball (and T-Ball last season) and one of the things that I worked really hard to teach was that even though not everyone is going to get along 100 percent of the time, you still have to be polite and a good teammate. So I've tried so hard to be a model for that (some of the people on my team have daughters that I have coached) but privately I find it so difficult.
Ugh, I just needed to vent.I have faith that this will all work out. I keep reminding my manager that it would be really great to have Christina on the team because she's reliable and everyone likes her. But for right now I have to just keep going and deal with this situation and the weekly dread it brings.