Wednesday, June 25, 2008

People are crazy (yet funny at the same time)

Some people never cease to amaze me. Usually I am not one to gossip, but I couldn't let this one go.

This morning I received an email from a woman I barely know. I don't even like her because she thrives on drama and talking about other people behind their back. A very unhealthy woman when it comes to relationships.
Anyway this email was sent out to hundreds of people. She probably opened up her address book and clicked "Send to All"
The message in the email explained that she had signed her 5 year-old daughter up for cheer at a very expensive studio in town. The last I had heard it was about $1500 a year to cheer. It went on to say that while she knew it was expensive, she couldn't afford it, so she was thinking that if everyone that received this message would pitch in 5.00 then her daughter could afford the uniform and the studio fees. She ALSO said that this was something her daughter really, really wanted to do.

Okay...are you f*cking kidding me? You want me to subsidize your child's extra curricular activities when I have 3 of my own kids who have their own activities? I understand she really wants to do it, but have you ever thought about that one word....the one that starts with an "N" and ends with an "O"? If you can't afford it, then don't say yes! And DEFINITELY don't go around asking strangers for 5.00 so that she can do it.
There are people who have to decide between food and gas because they can't have both, and you have the nerve to sit there and ask people to take pity on you because you can't say no.
I had the same issue with Little League this year. The board mismanaged funds, raised sign up fees, and then had the nerve to tell all the teams that they need to raise $400 each to help get the league back in the black. More specifically, they told us EACH player had the duty to get $35 into the league by x date, and went so far as to suggest that we go door to door and ask neighbors to pitch in. UM....NO. We will sell candy bars, raffle tickets, car wash, etc. but we WILL NOT go ask for someone else to pay for our kids' activities. Maybe the board should get smart and stop saying league fees are $135 and then let people only pay $25??? TOO many people took advantage of that, in my opinion. I argued with the fundraising guy via email about that issue.

Okay, that is my rant. You want your kid to do stuff - you pay for it, or get your family to help you if they want to.

No comments: