Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24th

First of all - a Ravelry update. I incorrectly reported how many people are in front of me. But as of today, there are 8969 people in front of me. I am moving up in line!

Okay, so on to today.....

We had our visit with GMIL (grandmother-in-law) and the new aunt, and the new cousins. It was obvious why they came - just to check out the house and the kids. Oh and to fish around for info about Hongo's parents and brother. New aunt kept slipping up about how the size of our house compared to hers. I guess she was embarrassed.
New aunt is kind of strange. She looks at you with gigantic eyes, as if its taking everything she has to pay attention. It may just be me though - I am a pretty boring person!
Grandma was her usual interesting self. It was obvious that the day belonged to New Aunt. New Aunt and cousins can do no wrong. Except.....
Boy Cousin took great joy in pestering LegoQueen. At lunch, the kids got free sundaes, and Legoqueen did not get one because she didn't order off the kids menu. Well, Boy Cousin (who is older than LQ and did get ice cream) kept teasing her with his ice cream. "Haha, you didn't get any.....oooooh this is soooo good!"
Grandma totally ignored LQ getting frustrated, but New Aunt caught it and thankfully told him to knock it off. Good, because I was just about to tell him something. We are all family now, right?

Other highlights of the visit:

- Grandma is a Pepsi freak. She's worse than me. She asked for a can and was drinking it. 3 year old cousin comes over and asks for a drink. Grandma hands the can of Pepsi to said 3 year old and lets her drink the rest.
- New Aunt had the nerve to tell me that Drama Queen looks just like New Aunt's husband, aka Black Sheep uncle who hates my husband, my FIL and is uglier than dog crap. To make it worse, Grandma agreed. Usually Grandma says DQ looks like HER, and every time I have to remind her that DQ happens to have her own grandma with blue eyes and features that more closely match.
- Sadly, 3 year old cousin DOES resemble said uncle. Poor child.
- Grandma insisted on me taking her picture with all the kids. Originally she said that she wanted pics with her grandkids, which would exclude MY kids. I guess at the last minute she realized that she had two different sets. And guess what? She offered to reimburse me the cost of printing her picture. When I asked her what size she wanted, she decided on a whopping 5x7!!! Oh wow - I don't know if I can handle $1.50 in printing costs! LOL! I told her not to worry about it - I will send it in to be printed at a Wal-Mart near her and she can just go pick it up.
-New Aunt TRIED to engage me in a negative homeschooling discussion. She started off with "Don't your kids ever ask to go to real school?" Hongo spoke up immediately and said "Nope." in a tone that said "Don't even go there." I could have gotten up and given him a giant kiss right then and there! She tried to rephrase it a few times, and eventually gave up and asked a couple of non-confrontational questions when she saw that we weren't going to defend ourselves.

It went better than I was dreading it to be. She was very nice and complimented the color I painted the walls. New Aunt was very nice...fake nice, but still nice. Little cousins were pretty cute. Boy Cousin (when he wasn't being annoying) was desperate for Hongo's attention. If Hongo was speaking, Boy Cousin was listening. Girl Cousin was pretty cute (she loved hanging out with Hayden) and my kids were on their absolute BEST behavior!

No comments: