Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Its not June yet.....

so plenty of time for me to cram ina few more journal entries.

Life has been going at full throttle - we took this weekend to enjoy our lives with our friends, we rested, and we also reflected on the important and meaning of Memorial Day.

I was a little sad yesterday as I washed my windows - they were so clear that my eyes fell on a lonely yellow rose bush that was competing for sunlight with the rest of the bushes.
Bryan's rosebush.
No one really knows that is the name I gave it - it was to honor the life of a soldier that I had never met, yet his family touched mine in so many ways. His parents live across the street...his brother plays softball with us.
Bryan Brewster lost his life in Afghanistan in May 2006. I remember the day that the Army people came to their house. It was a Sunday morning, LQ and I were out for a walk. We saw the cars and all the family. I thought they were going to have a big barbeque. Later that day, Bryan's mom told me the news.
I didn't know what to do, or what to say. So a few days later I cooked and wrapped up two large casserole dishes. One was lasagna, the other I don't remember. I walked it over, and the only thing I really remember was Scott saying "oh my God....FOOD!!!"
The next few days were spent in their home, hearing about Bryan, or out on our sidewalk as Louis, the dad cried on my shoulder.

Time passes...and when my dad died, our positions were reversed. I struggled while dealing with my family, and the Brewster family always was there for me to give me encouragement.

This morning I learned that Louis's father passed away last Monday. He was 81, and even though he had lived a long life, it still leaves a lot of grief. Louis and I talked about his dad. For him, it is two big losses in two years.
Louis described it as totally different than when his son died. Not worse or better...just different.
He told me that I inspired him to keep going, like how I did when Dad died. How funny it feels to hear that - I'm young enough to be his daughter (well, almost) yet I inspire him.
We talked and joked for a little while. I wished him luck tomorrow at the funeral. I told him that once the funeral was over, he would actually fall asleep at night. I said something else, and then he had to mention that I can't hit a softball if my life depended on it...so that was my cue that the seriousness was over.

Mr. Louis Brewster Sr. - rest in peace. You did a good job.

2 comments:

LaMamaPanchita said...

your a good freind,even if you can't pitch,KIDDING!!!love ya!

Shannon said...

sweet post, kim.