Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Technology will give you heart attacks....

Back when we first got married, we own a cell phone. "We" owned it, but I usually had it in my car because I worked nights. Since Hongo did not have the phone, I settled for a phone call on his morning break to let me know he made it to work, and then a call to let me know he was on his way home.

Eventually I started staying at home, and Hongo was the one who had to carry the phone. I would get a call on his morning break and then one again at lunch, and then maybe one right before he left the building to let me know he was making the 10 minute trip home. Even when I went back to work, we still kept in touch during the shifts, and I would rush home for 30 minute lunches.

About 6 years ago, it was determined that we BOTH must have a phone. I would call to let Hongo know I was going out, and he would call to let me know that he made it safely in to work, and would call me on the trip home and we would chat for the entire trip.

Recently we have become a little lax...due to texting capabiliites. One time I chronicled my errand day in pictures and sent them to Hongo's phone. So if I ever need to reach him, I can text him and within seconds I have a reply. He can text me and within minutes he can also receive a reply (I type slower)

This instant gratification has left me spoiled, and honestly - a little panicky.If hedoesn't reply right away, I begin to worry. So imagine what happened today when I texted him at 8am, and at 11 am, I still did not have a response? I texted him again, and no response. I finally called his phone - no answer. I text messaged myself to make sure it wasn't me.

In that short time I decided that something terrible had happened to him and that no one had gotten around to telling me yet.

Finally, I went online and sent a message. It said "I am very worried! If you do not call me back or text me within 5 minutes, I am calling the courthouse!!"

And the phone rings a minute later.

Why the big worry? What was so important?

I just wanted to make sure he was feeling okay because he wasn't feeling good last night...

*sigh*

1 comment:

bmarin said...

Well, probably with what happened with Chewy Spaghetti's husband, it put us all on the alert a little bit. So why did your Hongo take so long to text back??