Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Growing up....

LQ is going to a Halloween party this year.
When we were at my in laws' house this weekend, my MIL was talking about how nice it would be that Halloween fell on a Friday this year and my FIL wouldn't miss it like he did last year. The kids could go trick or treating and the kids could take turns passing out the candy. I had to break the news to her that LQ would be leaving to go to her party.
My MIL waited until FIL and LQ were in the same room, and asked LQ what her plans for Halloween were. LQ blushed and told them she was going to a party this year.
My poor FIL was crushed. I think MIL should have given him some warning. He wasn't able to recover the look of shock and disappointment on his face before LQ saw it.

So this morning we were in the car on the way to the party store, and LQ was very silent. I had just finished telling the little ones that we were going to look at costumes, and that they should start thinking about what they wanted to be, and LQ turned and said "Mommy, I'm not going to go to the party." I asked her why (I was totally shocked - its all she's been talking about) and she said it was because Papa was so upset when she told him.
I told her that she could do both - she could go trick or treating with Papa and then leave to go to her party later in the evening.
She said "Really?!?!" and her face brightened.

She's so stuck right now between wanting to be a little girl and wanting to be all grown up. She's not a Daddy's girl, but more like Papa's girl. She has a relationship with her grandfather that I wish I had with mine. She is very lucky.

No comments: